Senior merger and acquisition advisor focused on developing process and finding innovative solutions to assist business owners in the preparation and sale of small and middle market businesses. Skilled in achieving operational efficiencies and increasing revenue to maximize transaction value. Over the past 30 years has worked in various capacities in the technology industry, professional services, consulting as well as board level positions with several unrelated firms, associations and not-for-profits.
Certified Merger & Acquisition Professional
Merger & Acquisition Master Intermediary
Lifetime Certified Business Broker
Accredited Business Intermediary
Fellow of the International Business Brokers Association
International Business Brokers Association Credentialing Chairman 2015-Present
International Business Brokers Association Board of Governor’s 2016-2020
International Business Brokers Association Chairman 2019
International Business Brokers Association Treasurer 2018
Merger & Acquisition Source Board of Governors 2019-2020
2017 Tom West Award Recipient
Expert Witness as to Business Valuation, Wake County District Court
2003 – Present PRINCIPAL BROKER AND FOUNDER – ENLIGN Business Brokers & Advisors
– Responsible for direct client management. Set and execute client relationship strategies that define which issues to focus on, which opportunities to pursue and which individuals to invest in.
– Production of business valuations for owners who are selling, separating from partners, litigating, divorcing and management planning.
– Successfully undertake numerous contract negotiations, selection and relationship management with client vendors including attorneys, accountants, financial planners, private wealth managers, bankers, and consultants.
– Oversee firm brokers engagements, work product, marketing efforts and effectiveness.
2009 – Present OWNER – ENLIGN Commercial Real Estate
2003 – 2021 CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER – Tier3SME
Oversee all non-integration, non-implementation functions within the organization including contract negotiation/management, HR, payroll, online presence, non-deliverable oriented client management, invoicing, A/P, A/R, and subcontracting.
2007 – 2011 CO-OWNER – Restaurant Savoy
Investor in a 120 seat restaurant with co-chefs Peter Gibson and Marshall Smith, located in North Raleigh, NC
1996 – 2003 OWNER – Systech Systems & Services
– Responsible for the development, design, operation, and improvement of the systems that create and deliver the company’s products. Created operations strategy and policies.
– Controlled efficiency and effectivity of business operations.
– Areas of responsibility included communicating operational strategies to employees, building their alignment with company goals and overseeing human resource development.
2000 – 2001 CIO – LastAvailable.com
– Concept Development
– Capital Raising
– Managed Technology Resources
1994 – 1996 SALESPERSON – NTG/ComputerLand
Senior Sales Professional Hardware/Software/Services/Staffing
1996-1999 13B FIELD ARTILLARY (R) – National Guard
Operated heavy equipment and served the CO and XO directly during regular drill and FTX exercises.
1992 – 1996 12B COMBAT ENGINEER (R) US – Army Reserve
Trained in installation and removal of demolitions. Operated light and heavy equipment, served the CO and XO directly during regular drill and FTX exercises.
1992-1994 SALESPERSON – Carolina Computer Stores
Carolina Computer Stores (CCS) was a local full service IT computer hardware, software and networking provider.
– Sales Professional Hardware/Software/Services
2019 – Present Association of International Business Intermediaries Director
2019 International Business Brokers Association Chairman
Direct the Board of Governors of the International Business Brokers Association.
2016 – Present International Business Brokers Association Board of Governors
2013 – Present International Business Brokers Association Credentialing Committee Chairman
Oversee management and certification of the Certified Business Intermediary (CBI) designation worldwide.
Manage committee that considers requirements, exceptions and application of association policies regarding the CBI designation.
2012 – 2016 Ronald McDonald House of Durham Board of Trustees
Since 1980 provide a ‘home away from home’ to families with critically ill children at House and Family Rooms.
2012 – 2014 International Business Brokers Association Membership Committee
Trade association of business brokers providing education, conferences, professional designations and networking opportunities. IBBA is the largest non-profit association specifically formed to meet the needs of people and firms engaged in various aspects of business brokerage, and mergers and acquisitions.
2012 – 2014 M&A Source Membership Committee
The mission of the M&A Source is to promote members’ professional development and interests to better serve their clients’ needs and maximize public awareness of professional intermediary services available for middle market merger and acquisition transactions.
2013 – Present M&A Source Credentialing Committee
Oversee the “Merger & Acquisition Master Intermediary” (M&AMI) credentialing program for the Merger & Acquisition Source Association (MAS).
2017 Certified Merger & Acquisition Professional – M&A Source
2007 – 2014 Merger and Acquisition Master Intermediary – M&A Source
2003 – Present Lifetime Certified Business Intermediary Field of Study Business Transactions – International Business Brokers Association
2008 – Present ABI Field of Study Business Intermediary Services – American Business Brokers Association
– Why Now Might be the Right Time to Sell
– Eleven Steps to Buying a Business
– When NOT to Hire a Business Broker
– Myths when Marketing a Business for Sale
– Choosing the Right Advisors when Buying or Selling a Business
– Interviewing a Business Broker
1988 – 1992 BS, Management and Finance – Clemson University
– Grew ENLIGN Business Brokers to one of the largest business brokerage and advisory firms in NC.
– Sold over 250 businesses at ENLIGN Business Brokers.
– Completed over 500 business valuations.
– International Business Brokers Association 2019 Chairman
– International Business Brokers Association 2016- 2020 Board of Governors
– Certified Business Intermediary Credentialing committee chairman.
– Maintains 17+ year relationships with key clients at Tier3SME as a COO
– Approximately doubled sales for 5 consecutive years. Awarded all major manufacturer medallions with Systech Systems
– Certified Merger & Acquisition Professional, Merger & Acquisitions Master Intermediary, a Lifetime Certified Business Intermediary, and an Accredited Business Intermediary. Has been awarded the International Business Brokers Association Fellow of the IBBA award and was the 2017 Tom West Award
– Serves as a regular speaker, coach, mentor and judge in business plan competitions by the University of Chapel Hill Keenan-Flagler Business and MBA School
– Business Brokerage
– Mergers & Acquistions
– Business Valuation
– Business Development
– Management Consulting
– SBA Lending
– Strategic Consulting
– Contractor Agreements
– Motor racing
– Shooting sports
– Kids (Single father of four)